Friday, November 11, 2011

It's been a while! I need to fill you guys in :)

It's been a really long time since my last post, sorry about that. I've been super busy with school and trying to fit everything into the day that I need to get done so I just haven't had very much time. But anyways, there's been a lot of random things happening lately.

I'll start with school. School hasn't been that good as of late. It's really hard, for a lot of reasons. One reason why it's super hard is that the kids here have been learning these concepts for about 3 years longer that I have, so they know the stuff really well. I mean that literally--my sister's in seventh grade (two years younger) and she's pretty much learning a slightly diluted version of the exact same stuff as me. Another reason is that most of the students in my grade have been here for at least two years, so they at least have some idea of what to expect on the exams. I, on the other hand, have never taken exams like these in my life. Also (this is the thing that makes me the maddest), some of the teachers don't exactly teach all the concepts very thoroughly. They might touch on it once or twice, but you never actually learn it fully if you don't go home and learn it on your own. So that's why school is pretty hard for me right now. A friend that I've been talking to a lot after we met in the musical that we were both in (We Will Rock You) says that it will get easier and not to worry too much about it. He's also from America, so I trust him, but I'm still waiting for the time when it finally gets easier. I hope it doesn't take too much longer!

Now let's talk about stuff that DOESN'T have to do with Indus International School, because really, nobody wants to hear too much about that place. We had a 10 day break towards the end of October for Diwali, which is the festival of light. Since one of our goals in coming to India was to travel a lot, we took this opportunity to do so. On October 22, the final show of We Will Rock You finally happened, and it went amazingly. We didn't mess up hardly at all, and the dance scene (which was kind of the featured thing) went over perfectly. It was tons of fun and I met a lot of people during the many long rehearsals. True, now I have during-lunch support classes and I have to miss PE for the next three weeks because of the play, but it was still really fun.

On the night of the 22nd, we flew out of Bangalore into Singapore. We got to Singapore at like 5 in the morning, and since it was a red-eye flight we were all really cranky and tired. We had breakfast with some family friends at this tiny little shop, which is where I discovered a really amazing thing. It's called kaya, which is this extremely delicious coconut jam on some soft bread. It doesn't even taste very much like coconut, because my dad liked it too and he hates coconut. After breakfast, we went back to the hotel and slept for the majority of the day. Once we woke up, we went to China Town for dinner. Thankfully, our family friend (let's call him V, though not the same V as in one of my other posts) has lived in Singapore for a while and he knew exactly what to get us for dinner. We had some really delish food and drinks as well. V was a huge help during that trip--without him and his family we wouldn't have known what to do! We were in Singapore for about 2 1/2 days, and then we went to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

That's an interesting place. It's kind of like a mixture of Singapore and India, but WAY hotter than either of those places. However, that place is extremely amazing because they have both KRISPY KREME AND STARBUCKS there. We ate so many donuts, it was insane. And we got Starbucks lots of times. :) It was really awesome and we saw tons of cool stuff while we were there, and ate tons of good food (of course). After being in Kuala Lumpur for 4 days, we flew back to Singapore for like 5 hours, then flew from there to Bali, Indonesia. We were only in Bali for two days, but I would have stayed a lot longer. It was so relaxing because we didn't plan anything to do--pretty much all we did was stay at the villa we rented and swam all day. Amara and I stayed in the pool for literally 6 hours straight one day, which was amazing. If you want to have a super relaxing holiday, go to Bali, it's awesome. I don't think they have Krispy Kreme or Starbucks there, but still, it's a nice place. We then flew from Bali back to Singapore, then from Singapore back to Bangalore. It's a miracle that the Singapore airport people didn't know us by name after going there so many times in such a short amount of time.

After being so relaxed for a little while, we went back to the stressful norm of school. My mom, however, didn't even get to go home after that trip. We had our driver bring her her pre-packed bags, then she headed off to California on a very late night/early morning flight. She's been in California for like 11 days, but she's finally coming back tomorrow! YAY!!! Pretty much as soon as school got back in session, we started studying for half yearly exams. Amara and I both did pretty badly on most of our mid-term exams, so we started studying way in advance in hopes of doing better on half yearlies. We've been doing extra work and studying for pretty much all of our classes every night so we can be more prepared, but I'm still really scared for half yearlies. Oh well, wish us luck!

Thanks for reading, more later! :)







3 comments:

  1. whattt a losserr. KAYA. :S we're not being friends anymore. you've gone to my homeplanet, and not bring me back KAYA. wtf you. loafer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet u get great marks in english - you write really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Helen! english is one of my best subjects :)

    ReplyDelete