Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tomorrow is the Day!

The title is self explanatory but yes! The time has come for us to temporarily end our life in America and start a new chapter of it in India! But of course the suspense of our new life is still not quite here yet, because we added a 5 day stop over in Hong Kong on the way to India. If we hadn't done that, the flight would have been 26 hours, so we decided to make it a little more bearable by shortening it to 13 hours to Hong Kong, then around 6 hours to India. This last week has been especially stressful...it seems like it's lasted for 10 years. I've been trying to cram in my last sleepovers with friends whenever I could and trying to make sure I see everyone that I wanted to see before leaving. I didn't quite get everyone but close enough I guess. The movers came on Tuesday to pack our freight stuff, and it's kind of depressing to me that all the stuff we felt like we needed for a year could fit into 588 pounds of freight and 2 duffel bags a piece. Guess that just goes to show you that we have too much crap in our houses anyways! The biggest downside is that moves get everyone really stressed and on edge, and let's face it, nobody is a nice person when they're stressed, which has kind of been painfully obvious for the past week.When we moved from Kansas to Washington a few years ago, we always said that would be our last move until I went to college. We never thought anything like this would ever happen, and, though it will be a great experience for us, it does mean another move there and back. At least it's temporary!
Going to Hong Kong is also adding stress because the airlines have stupid rules like 11 pounds per carry on! We usually carry on a small Rick Steve's suitcase, but that suitcase alone weighs 7 and a half pounds, so that didn't happen this time. We had to shove everything for our 5 day trip into a tiny duffel bag so as to meet the airline's carry on rules. I also have to carry on my viola, which is light on its own, but when it gets into the case, it weighs 13.4 pounds. I have to carry that on too...so if they weigh it I guess we're screwed. Bottom line is, read the rules of the airline before you book the tickets. You might just have second thoughts on what airline to fly.

1 comment:

  1. Hola chica! This is going to be such an amazing time for you guys! I will be thinking about you and praying for you often :-) and of course I am going to miss you guys TONS!

    ReplyDelete