Thursday, July 11, 2013

First Half of Week 3

On Monday, we did the usual: we went to the library to teach, and that went well, then we went back to the hotel and hung out for a bit before going to Spanish classes, then we went home, did homework, cooked dinner, I called my parents, showered, and slept. However, I was slightly mad all day on Monday for reasons that aren't really relevant to this post. When we got back to the hotel after Spanish classes, my parents sent me a message saying that they had my scores from the AP exams that I took in May. I knew that people had been checking their scores because everyone felt it necessary to post their exact scores on Facebook, so I had been anxiously awaiting my scores all day. When my parents told me that they had them, I went downstairs and called them, preparing for the worst, because the exams I took were AP Biology (and I was pretty sure I failed that one) and AP Spanish Language, which I took only because I felt like it and I hadn't even taken that class. I went into the AP Spanish Lang exam feeling pretty confident in my ability to pass it, but left feeling like I had definitely failed that one too, because it was a lot harder than I expected. Anyways, my parents picked up and said, "Aneesa, we have your AP scores." I replied with, "Oh, god, I'm scared," to which my mom said, "Yeah, well, you should be." I was literally shaking at this point. Then my mom said, very slowly and whatnot, "AP bio was……………a 3!" That's exactly the score I was shooting for, because these tests are graded on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 being the best. A 3 means "qualified," so I was pretty freaking happy with this. Then she said, "AP Spanish Language was……………a 4!" I started yelling. I literally started yelling. (forgive my slight bragging here) "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! I got a 3 and a 4! A 4 on the exam for a class I didn't even take! A 3 on the exam for a class I was lucky to pass! YEAHHHHHHHH!" I cried from happiness, guys. A 4 means "well qualified," and I didn't even take AP Spanish Lang and still managed to pull off a 4! Oh, god, I was so happy. I know there are tons of students at my school and tons of students at other schools who did better than I did, but I don't even care, I'm proud of myself for getting those scores and I am quite happy with them. So, if you got a 5 on one of your AP exams, I'm extremely happy for you and you should bake yourself a celebratory cake and eat it all by yourself, but feel free to not rub your 5 in my face, because there are many people like myself who are happy with having done their best. WOOOOOOO YAY FOR EVERYONE WHO TOOK AN AP EXAM! 

Alright, so, today, we went to the library to teach as usual, and I got kind of upset because only one of my students showed up today. Since their vacation started, I've had about 6 or 7 students that come regularly, and I've learned to be okay with that number, but today, only one little girl came, and bless her soul, she just does not understand what we're doing, but she tries. This irked me, because I'm here to teach them for their benefit so they can learn, and then they just don't show up. It might have been a fluke or something, but if that turnout persists, we're gonna have a problem. 

Later today we will go to Spanish school, and for once, we might not actually die of heat stroke during our classes, because it's CLOUDY today! And there's a breeze and it was sprinkling earlier! That's what I like to see. 

Today we were talking about candy and I started craving a Three Musketeers bar, so somebody please eat one for me. 

Continuing this post from earlier today, it did indeed end up raining! Not just showers, either, it was a torrential downpour that happened to start right as we were walking back to the hotel from Spanish school. It was pretty cool all day today, which was really nice, and being caught in the rain wasn't so bad either, we just got slightly soaked. When we got back to the hotel, water dripping from our ponytails and our clothes sticking to our bodies, the guy at the front desk proceeded to laugh at us (not even close to laughing with us) as we walked through the lobby. I imagine we looked rather odd, a group of three gringas swaggin' our way through the lobby while leaving a trail of rainwater in our wake. It probably didn't even look that cool, though, we probably just looked like three sad puppies that fell in a puddle or something. 

I'm gonna add Wednesday to this post as well because there's not much to say about it. It was a rather normal day, except for the fact that I impressed my students today with the smallish collection of Spanish songs that I have on my phone. We had Spanish school in the afternoon like we always do and tonight we're going to have dinner with B and M and the owner of the hotel we're staying in and a group of people from the States who just arrived today. 

Thankssssss for reading, more later.


Aneesa

No comments:

Post a Comment