Friday, September 9, 2011

Hulli Cabs and Blake Shelton

First, let me explain what hulli means. It seems kind of rude if you translate it to English, and it's really hard to explain in English, but in Kannada (the native language) it's not a big deal at all. It pretty much means something along the lines of village idiot. It's used as an adjective though, like to describe people or things. So one of my friends ALWAYS says "You know her? That hulli?" She pretty much describes everyone as hulli. But you can also say stuff like, "That hotel is so hulli!" So yeah.

But anyways, for the past week we've been getting a ride to and from school from Amara's friend's mom who is a teacher at Indus. We get to school a little before the buses, so it works out well. Today though, it didn't quite work out that well. Amara's friend's mom, who I will refer to as V, has a really nice driver and car. This morning when we went to the building where V stays to go to school, we were informed that the car had a flat. The driver proceeded to try and fix the flat, but it ended up that there was some issue with that and he couldn't get the flat tire off the car to put on a new one. V then called up some cab companies (which didn't take long because it seemed she had them on speed dial), and after about 15 minutes of talking to different cab drivers, we got a cab to be there within another 10-ish minutes. This cab looked fine from the outside, but when the driver opened the back door of the cab, there were like several spider webs hanging off of the window and doors. Right away, I could tell that this cab was pretty freaking hulli. So we get in the cab (which smelled strongly of spicy Indian food and incense, ew) and drive away, brakes squeaking all the way to Indus. Later I found out that after we drove away, my mom saw one of the tail lights go out. All the more reason for this cab to be called hulli. About three whole seconds into the ride, the cab driver turns up some music in Hindi or Kannada or something, and it was SO LOUD! Of course my head was right next to the speaker too, so this squeaky Hindi music is blaring in my ears and it was actually kind of torturous. However, my sister and Blake Shelton came to the rescue. Thankfully, Amara had a headphone splitter, so not only could Amara and I listen, Amara's friend could listen too. As soon as she plugged in those headphones, I went to the country music playlist and started blasting me some Blake Shelton! YES. Then, I had another full hour in that hulli cab which was made bearable solely by my hero, Blake Shelton. :)

So not only did Blake Shelton save me from dying a sad miserable death in that hulli cab, I have introduced the wonders of his music to my fellow Indians here at Indus. Yes, that's right, I have hooked a small number of people on Blake Shelton's beautiful and amazing music (as well as other beautiful aspects of him). Below, I will post some links to a few of his songs, and let me just tell you that it was extremely difficult to limit myself to less than 50 songs to link to. I don't expect yall to watch all of them, but I would if I were you. If you like these, you'd probably like everything in his Red River Blue album, and everything else that he's ever written. :)

Hillbilly Bone by Blake Shelton (the first ever Blake Shelton song that I heard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGoiiwxTWeE

Kiss My Country Ass by Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJe754cLbok

She Wouldn't Be Gone by Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki-n6DsDG40

Drink On It by Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnuVedLV0yg

Good Ole Boys by Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wUeegIam9I

Some Beach by Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTT2LEyjdC4

Red River Blue by Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU--RQvpyA8

Thanks for reading and watching!:)

7 comments:

  1. My fav Blake Shelton song - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xXD9-1mLBY

    Glad to know you love him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! finally someone else who loves him too :) that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Nose Stud advice - I'm trying to avoid touching it...but its not easy!! This is day 3 and no problems as yet! -but early days I guess.
    Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty difficult to avoid touching it because it's new and amazing but you'll get used to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wrote this on my birthday :-) Oh man girl! I apologize for not catching up on all this good stuff! I am glad that good 'ol Blake man came to your rescue! can I get a holla for country music! I miss you girls so much. Heard from your dad and he suggested we all skype sometime! Let me know when things get settled into your new home and hopefully we can connect. In the mean time keep writing! I love it and you girly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I hope the musical went well! I rooted for you...kind of :-)
    P.P.s what is your address! I will send you guys some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Car that smelt like spicy Indian food and incense' haha xD I have smelt worse actually. I'm originally from Calcutta but we moved to bangalore when I was 1 year old. Each dussehra my parents have this crazy urge to go and visit their hometown. Well I'll get straight to the point. If you ever get into a taxi (not private cab) in Calcutta, you'll realize that the spicy Indian food smell and incense was nothing in comparison. There, the cars smell like sweat, sweets and stinky fish. It was the first and last time I ever took a taxi in Calcutta after that. It was so torturous, I thought I would vomit. Ugh :/

    PS- I started listening to Blake Shelton after watching the Voice. I like the song he sang with Christina - Just A Fool. Besides that, I like country music, just not a big fan of Blake. I love The Band Perry and Carrie Underwood though :D

    ReplyDelete